Sunday, January 23, 2011

Potty Training

Natalie turned 2 in December, so we are now potty training. I've got to say, being consistent with it is not as easy as I imagined it would be. We started introducing Natalie to the concept of the potty around 18 or 19 months, and she never gave us any fits about sitting on it (we only had her sitting on the potty while her bath water ran). Now there are times when we have to bribe her with "potty candy" just to sit there (Pez works great! She has Belle, Cinderella, and Mickey Mouse pez dispensers) and prizes when she does her business on the potty (usually a brownie, cookie, or piece of chocolate). Sometimes I think this would be easier if I were a stay at home mom, but that's not feesible right now, nor do I really want to stay home full-time, so I just do what I can in the evenings and on the weekends. I try to put big-girl panties on Natalie in the evening and on the weekends, and I try to have her sit on the potty at least every hour, but sometimes more often, depending on her fluid intake. From experience, I can tell she definitely doesn't like the feeling of being wet, so we will see how long it takes her to catch on to sitting on the potty when she feels the need to pee. The biggest problem I see is that Nathan and I don't quite seem to be on the same page. He isn't a fan of cleaning up pee messes, so he prefers putting a diaper or pull-up on Natalie. I know that she will get it and be potty trained when she's really ready; that's why I don't force her to sit on the potty when she throws a fit. Secretly, I hope she "gets it" sooner rather than later! In the mean time, I leave you with a picture of Natalie and Woody pottying together.

No comments:

Share