Thursday, August 11, 2011

Picture Post...Kinda

My grandma, who had a below-the-knee amputation a couple years ago, fell this morning. This woman is a tough little thing. She's been through so much in regards to her health, and she still lives independently in her own home, next door to my aunt and uncle. Anywho, at 3:00 am, she got up to get something to drink. She was in her manual wheelchair (she also has a electric wheelchair, which is her primary means of mobility...ooh, I feel like I'm writing in one of my patients' charts!), spilled some water on the floor, and in her attempt to clean it up, she fell. My aunt usually checks on Grandma every day, usually several times daily, but was out of town this morning. My poor Grandma was on the floor until the Meals on Wheels guy delivered her lunch. Yep, LUNCH! She had been on the floor for about 8 hours. The door was locked, and obviously she couldn't answer it, so he looked through the window and noticed she was on the floor. He's gotten to know the family well, so he went next door to get my aunt, who wasn't home. My cousin has a business on the property, so the sweet MOW guy tracked him down. They got my grandma back in her chair. Despite her pain, she didn't want to go the the hospital or to urgent care. Finally my aunt (not the one who lives next door) came over and convinced her to be evaluated by a physician. Off to the ER they went. I guess I should mention that Grandma fell right on her "stump". Turns out her knee and the distal end of her femur are crushed, crushed to the point that surgery isn't even an option. The doc at the ER put a cast on it, educated Grandma, my mom, and my aunts on the importance of ice and elevation, and sent Grandma home. Poor lady is in so much pain. My mom is staying with her tonight to help her out. I don't know how many more health problems she can take. If you pray, a little prayer for my sweet grandma would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, Natalie and I had a little photo shoot last night after Jillian Michaels kicked my tush and Natalie had a bath. For your viewing pleasure (I don't mean that as weird and perverted as it may sound)...


Post-workout




"Show me your funny face!"
 
"Anudder funny face, mommy!"
This kid's a hoot! I feel so lucky to be her momma.


1 comment:

Tales of a young mamma said...

poor thing! Grandma's sure are tough! My husband's grandpa also has a leg amputated but I think it's above the knee and he had it done when he was like 10 but he sure is tough! I can't imagine!

Share