Friday, July 8, 2011

Does It Work Wednesday

Again, I know it's not Wednesday. I actually posted this on Wednesday, and then realized the video didn't work on Blogger, so I deleted it. I still haven't found a way to get the video to work, so for now it's just the article (which is practically word for word of the video). I'll work on the video thing for next week.

Every Wednesday our local news station does a segment called "Does It Work? Wednesday" in which they have viewers "try it before you buy it". Products range from potty training tools and hair products to infomercial products, hair removers, and baby gear.
Does it Work: DepilSilk
Tired of shaving, the nicks? The cuts? It promises to get rid of unwanted hair with a simple spray.  No pain and a much-better scent than similar products. It's Depilsilk.
Best friends Taryn and Austin to test it out together.
"Don't rub it in but evenly spread."
It claims to work in less than eight minutes, and it is painless.
"Smooth!" said Taryn. 
Smooth yes, but a closer look it seems we still had a hairy situation.
"Ooh, you can pull it out. It's supposed to wipe out easily, and this is pulling your hair out!" said Austin.
We also asked coworker Justin West to try it, just because he's got more visible hair. After all, the product said it can work for men.
However, Justin's not a fan.
"That's nasty looking!"
We don't know what was worse: taking off Justin's leg hair or watching Justin take off his leg hair!
"Ew, this looks gross!"
It appears the DepilSilk works, but the question now: is it worth the trouble?
"It was just 'so-so', I just don't see spending a little bit more money for this product as opposed to just going for a wax or shaving. I just don't see a lot of a difference. I think Nair is a lot cheaper than this product, so," said Austin.
It is, and it's $15 for the bottle! So, it's not a silky smooth finish for DepilSilk. It earns a 'D' on this Does it Work test.

For more "Does It Work?" products, you can go here.
I will also post my own reviews of various products that I've recently tried.
Tuesday night I went to a "Skinny Wrap" party. Ever heard of them? It's basically an organic detox system that you can put anywhere on your body, that detoxes your fat cells, causing them to shrink; therefore, you lose inches. I "wrapped" my thighs {I didn't take pictures. It wasn't a pleasant sight), and it only took one wrap, because we were able to cut it in half. The wrap has minerals and all the good things that we should all get in our diet daily, but the majority of us don't. The material is then placed on the area of the body that is to "shrink", and the body party is wrapped with saran wrap to secure the skinny wrap. It smells like Vicks and feels cold when it's applied. Remember, though, totally organic! You must stay wrapped for at least 45 minutes, but may remain wrapped for 5+ hours. Apparently the longer the wrap is left on, the better it works. Following the placement of the skinny wrap, you must drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water for the next 3 days to "flush" your body of the toxins. I slept in my wrap, but the saran wrap wasn't tight enough, so my wraps moved a bit during the night. It remained moist, so my legs and pants felt moist this morning. (Kinda gross!) My thighs were measured in 2 different areas prior to being wrapped. Those areas were marked with a Sharpie so I can measure the same places after my 3 days. Only one body part may be wrapped at a time, and you can wrap every 4 days. The results typically last about two to six months.
On my left leg, I lost an inch at the top of my thigh and half an inch near the bottom of my thigh (right above my knee). On my right leg, I lost an inch and a half at the top of my thigh and an inch on the bottom of my thigh. I barely squeezed in half my body weight in water this week, which is a shame and disappointing, because I usually drink over 100oz of water each day. This week was no ordinary week though. Maybe that's a topic for tomorrow if I have time. Anyway, the product works, obviously in just one application. However, it can be awkward to apply to certain body parts, and you really need someone to help you wrap yourself. At $25 a wrap (or $89 for a box of 4...or $49 for a box of four with the loyal customer program), it's not that bad of a deal, especially if you're looking for an easy way to lost some inches. Overall, I give the Skinny Wrap a B.
*On a side note: The skinny wrap is intended to be a detox system, so it removes the toxins from your fat cells, which is actually what causes the loss of inches. It was not created to be an "inch loss" system, that's just one of the perks of detoxing your body with this product.

No comments:

Share