Saturday, July 16, 2011

Show Us Your Life

This weeks Show Us Your Life is all about how you told your husband, family, etc that you're pregnant.

I didn't get to tell Nathan in a cutesy way, but the story is still fun(ny) to tell.
It was April 6th, 2008, in the evening. (I won't get into why I thought I might have been pregnant. That could get a little TMI for some people). Nathan was outside cleaning out my car; we lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor at the time, so I could see him in the parking lot and knew when he'd be coming inside. I had plenty of time to test; I wanted to do it while he was outside because I wanted plenty of time to think of a cute way to tell him, and because I wasn't really sure how I would react (I knew I'd be excited, though). I took a test, and immediately saw a "+". I couldn't really believe my eyes, so I took another, and another (and maybe even another). Just to be sure, I grabbed a digital test that I had picked up a couple days prior. Yep, sure enough, "Pregnant". I quickly ran to the computer to search "Cute ways to tell your husband you're pregnant." About that time, my sister called. I was walking around the apartment talking to her when Nathan walked in. This NEVER happens, but the first place he went was to the computer. Guess what he saw on the screen? It didn't take long and I heard, "AMY! Come here!" I kinda wave my hand at him since I was on the phone. Nope, not gonna cut it. "No, get off the phone and come here NOW!" So I cut my sister a little short, and Nathan began inquiring about what he saw on the computer screen. Then....silence. For about 10 minutes. No joke. I won't bore you with the mundane details from there, but it didn't take long for Nate to get excited and show it. The following day Nathan was on an all-day fishing trip with a good buddy of his (who's then girlfriend/current wife) is one of my BFFs. I had planned to use his time away to plan a really great announcement, but obviously it didn't work out that way. Apparently that whole day on the lake, Nathan was very short and quiet with his friend. To this day, Friend laughs about that and says he "knew something was up" but he never dreamed it was the announcement that he got 3 weeks later!

As far as telling our families-

My dad's birthday is April 13, so I wrote on his card something to the effect of, "You're a great dad, an awesome father-in-law, and in December, you'll be an amazing grandpa! Love, Nathan, Amy, and Peanut" I made him read it outloud so he could tell my mom. Even though Nathan and I had been married for almost a year, I was still a nervous wreck to tell my parents, like I was going to be in trouble or something.

The same day we gave my dad his birthday card, we went to Nathan's parents' house (I think this was the following Saturday) and gave his mom a gift. She thought it was strange to give her a gift out of the clear blue sky. The gift was a bib that said "Because Grandma said so!". She was over the moon! The only grandparent we had left to tell was Nathan's dad, who was at work. We drove 30 minutes out of our way home to stop in on Nathan's dad at the car lot and handed him a 6 week ultrasound picture. He stared at it like he was looking at an alien or something. I don't know if he really knew what it was, but when I asked him, he said he knew. We didn't get much of a reaction out of him, but now he dotes on Natty more than any of them.

I can't wait until there's a "Baby #2" to announce!

1 comment:

Kristen Thornburg said...

Hmm... that's a lot different than my story.
A scared 18 year old walks into her moms room, "Can I talk to you about something?"
"Sure... what is it?"
"Well... I'm... pregnant."
"oh." *crickets* "really?"
"Yeah, I found out about a month ago and just couldn't tell you."
EEEE!
Scariest moment EVER!

Share