Friday, May 20, 2011

Show Us Your Life- Main Dish Recipes

I'm really loving this week's "Show Us Your Life". I feel like we eat the same thing over and over and over and over (and so on...), so I will definitely be studying the other entries from this week to get some ideas.

I love soups, stews, and chili in the winter. My mom gave me this potato soup recipe, and it's delicious!
10 lbs potatoes (we use plain ol' Idahos)
1 onion, diced
1- 10.5oz can cream of chicken soup
1- 10.5oz can cream of celery soup
1 stick of butter
8 oz block of cream cheese

Peel and dice potatoes. Put potatoes and onions in pot; add just enough water to cover, and cook until tender. Cut cream cheese and butter into chunks. Add to cooked potatoes and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When cream cheese and butter are completely melted, stir in cream of chicken and celery soups. Salt and pepper to taste.
* Soup can be served topped with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles, and/or oyster crackers. Enjoy!


My hubby's favorite meal is chicken & dumplings. He loves my homemade version.

1 whole chicken, removed from the bone (I prefer to use 4-5 chicken breasts), combined with salt and pepper to taste in a large pot; cover with water. Cook until chicken is tender/cooked through. While chicken is cooking, prepare dumplings. When chicken is done, remove and set to the side.

Dumplings: In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, nd 1/3 cup Crisco shortening with a fork (I like the butter-flavored Crisco blocks). Add 1/2 cup milk, mix to form dough. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness on floured surface. Cut into 4" strips with a sharp knife (or pizza cutter). Drop dumplings into simmering chicken broth. Simmer until dumplings are done. Add chicken to dumplings and cook slowly for 10-15 minutes.
* We like A LOT of dumplings, so we double this dumpling recipe.
My hubs doesn't like veggies, so we don't put any in, but of course you could add carrots, celery, etc.

No comments:

Share